Thursday, July 2, 2009

Thing #16

One use I could see for LibraryThing is for reviews or reflections on books. A group could be created for a certain book and members could share their opinions or views on the piece. I could also see LibraryThing being used for cataloging a classroom library. The initial work might take awhile but in the long run it would pay off. Being able to add a tag to the book and then having it put into a group would be wonderful. I have my classroom library divided up by author, subject, and series. Having this done for me would be great.
I found an interesting group discussing banned books. The discussion included a list of the American Booksellers Foundation “Banned Books.” The list contained the school district that wanted the books banned and the reasons behind the banning request. Pretty fascinating read! I was surprised at some of the books on the list. The Giver by Lois Lowry and Bless Me Ultima by Rudolfo Anaya were just two. The controversy over Bless Me Ultima was really surprising. All it made me want to do was read the books!
I created a LibraryThing account in hopes that maybe I will use it for my classroom catalog.

2 comments:

  1. Now you have my interest on Anaya's book which I hadn't heard of. I'll have to get the book and check it out. Gathering Blue is a sequal to The Giver and I really liked it. I didn't know for sure that it was a sequel until I read The Messenger. So many great books and so little time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's the funny thing about books that people object to - it just makes more people want to read them!

    ReplyDelete