Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Thing #21

I am learning so much! I have explored some of the features that Google offers in the past, but was not aware of all the features. I started my search with Google earth. I didn’t know that I could create a tour of places and then share it. SketchUp on Google Earth was for the more advanced user, maybe a graphic designer or architect. As far as the maps go, I could see the use of some of the them for students to monitor topics covered in science. Weather, earthquakes, marine life, and landforms are just a few.
Google Calendar is something I have used at work. I used it mainly to remind me of places or things I had to be at or do. The popup feature is a saving aspect of the calendar for me. The calendar could be used for more than my personal schedule. A list of due dates, activites, or holiday for school could be published. Just like all other aspects of Google, if you have Internet access you have access to the calendar.
Another feature of Google I explored was Google Alerts. I have several interests and it was difficult which ones I wanted to be notified about. I liked the idea of the topics being narrowed down for me. I didn't have to search for what I was interested in. Students could use this for getting information on a particular topic they are studying. Since the posts are put up all day long the information would be current. Students could track statistics of sports team without the "paper." I'm sure students would rather use the Internet versus a newspaper.
My one concern with the alerts is the bias of articles. If a contributor supports a particular political party his/her entry may not be totally objective, as in newspapers.

No comments:

Post a Comment