Sunday, July 5, 2009

Thing #17

I previewed several of the podcasts. I wanted to see the different ways the teachers and students were using podcasts. The Jamestown Elementary Podcast Project was good because it included work from all the grade levels. It was interesting to see all the different applications. Just One More Book!! was terrific. They included a list of additional titles that related to the podcast title and also shared the suggested reading level and topics the book covered. This would be useful if you weren’t familiar with the book and needed a quick reference. I watched the Rock Stars of Reading video/podcast and really enjoyed seeing or hearing authors in their own environment. The creators of the podcast were acquaintances of the authors so they were really laid back interviews.
Another podcast that was entertaining and informative was Geek!Ed! I listened to one of the podcasts on Technology in Education. The reason I say one is that the podcasts averaged 40 minutes. I subscribed to this podcast through my Google Reader and iTunes. I don’t really have the patience to sit and listen to something for that long but while I’m driving or walking I can listen on my iPod.
I feel that podcasts could be used for learning a new language, students sharing their work or reviews, or students who need to hear information more than once. I had a fellow teacher who recorded her spelling words so students could “ hear” them all during the week. Another idea would have students record their multiplication facts to listen to later.

1 comment:

  1. Great ideas for using podcasts! Thanks for sharing the Rock Stars of Reading.

    ReplyDelete