Thursday, June 18, 2009

Thing #4

The first blog I read was Patrick's Update. He wrote about his hopes and concerns of passing 5th grade. What a great way for kids to share thoughts and feelings about a variety of topics. I feel students would be more motivated to read and respond using this format because it's different, new (to them), and fun (uses technology). The positive feedback that Patrick received could only motivate him to succeed. My concern is allotting time for kids to blog.

I enjoyed reading the blog on Powerpoint Reform: a first chapter. I have taught 4th grade for years and haven't had much opportunity for students to create powerpoints, but as a person who has had to create a few myself this was right on target. The author wrote the blog as an instructional piece and was easy to follow. I will use this blog when instructing students on creating powerpoints and I will refer to it often when I am creating my own!

Another blog that made me rethink my teaching was How to Prevent Another Leonardo da Vinci. It didn't hurt that when you opened the page it had it was nominated for one of the most influential posts for 2007. That piqued my interest! So many times I "decide" where I want my students to go. The blog reminded me of how I need to let go and let my students discover their learning. I highly recommend all teachers read this blog and refer back to it often.

An Environmental Break-Why Can't We Do This? was not my favorite blog to read, but I understand the usefulness. I can see the use of a blog to discuss controversial topics and get responses from people of different opinions. This blog would allow students to see other sides of issues and better form their own ideas on the topic. Allowing students to link sites that support their side could be added to the blog.

The cutest blog was A Duck with a Blog. I loved reading the 2nd graders theories. Where did they come up with those ideas? Allowing the students to write about something as simple as what they saw on their playground gave them the opportunity to use their creative thinking skills to come up with their theories. This is a great way to share their thoughts about the ducks but it also allows them to practice their writing skills. Believe me, coming from the view of a 4th grade teacher, this is very important.

Overall I discovered a variety of uses for blogs and I am excited about using them in this coming school year.

2 comments:

  1. Great post! Thanks for sharing your thought process as you read the blogs for this assignment. Also, nice job providing links to the post that you referenced. That is definitely a skill a blogger needs to have!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also love the way people motivated Patrick in his story. So many times students feel alone and have no way to express their feelings. So many people left Patrick positive feedback which I am sure gave him even more confidence to pass 5th grade!

    ReplyDelete